An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Did You Miss Me?

I suppose anyone who still reads this might have. Well, we've got some things going on now.

After the three months of uber-Lupron injections, there was nothing to do but wait. Last Wednesday I finally got my period again so the doctor had me come in for an ultrasound today. Well, actually the doctor is still on semi-maternity leave so the nurse did the ultrasound, which is fine. I like her and she's so goofy she makes me think she's been drinking or high or something.

Actually, let me back up a minute because I had blood drawn before the ultrasound and the people in the office looked at me like I was a ghost. I guess since I haven't been in in a while they thought we'd given up. I'm like, yeah we're still doing this, lol. It was funny and sad in a way.

Anyway, after the blood I went back for the ultrasound. Now, I'm not 100% sure why I needed an ultrasound because I thought I was just going to have the second biopsy to see if the Lupron worked. But I guess they're looking for something. And whatever they're looking for, she saw something interesting.

Normally I've got nothing going on at this point in my cycle but today I had a follicle that was about 12mm. The nurse was surprised and kind of gave me the impression that it was a good thing. She said depending on my bloodwork, I might not need to do a HGC shot before the biopsy. Again, I don't know why I would need one anyway because I'm pretty sure we didn't do one before, but whatever. So I left and went on my merry way to work. She called later and left me a long voicemail about how the doctor wants me to come back for another ultrasound and bloodwork on Monday, which I was totally not expecting.

I checked the results of the bloodwork (they have a patient portal where they post that stuff). I don't know why I bother trying to figure out what the numbers mean. All I have to go by is Wikipedia and a 10th grade understanding of biology, which I had to take twice.

They tested LH, which is lutenizing hormone. It triggers ovulation so I guess if the levels are good then that's why I might not need the HGC shot to trigger it artificially. That's my theory, anyway. According to Wikipedia, 8.74 is normal for day 9 and I guess with me normal is good since my hormones have never been normal. They also checked progesterone and estradiol as usual, but I've long since given up on trying to figure out those numbers and what they mean for me.

So yeah, that's what's going on now. In other news, I've lost over 25 pounds now and since eating healthier my cholesterol has gone down 40 points. I'm hoping that just being so much healthier will help this process too. Geocaching is still going well, though we had to give up our streak at 200 days. Now I'm all about being the first to find newly published caches. It's a cheap thrill.

Lots of people have been having babies at work, which is always hard to see. Especially since most of them are also on my Facebook so I get to see all their cute little pictures every day. Well, hopefully someday I'll get the chance to spam their news feed with my own baby pictures. Which I'll be able to do from work since I found a way around the internet filter and network services hasn't discovered me yet.

Look for the next update on Monday. Hopefully good news and maybe some more random stuff like above if you're lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment