An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Friday, August 7, 2015

7 Months
Never a dull moment with one baby, let alone two.

They have really been getting along with their solid foods. It's been interesting seeing what they will eat. Nathan will eat pretty much anything, while Charlotte is much pickier. Her food has to be absolutely smooth, which has been tricky since we've been trying to make a lot of their food. Sometimes we have to put her food through the Vitamix to get to a smoothness acceptable to Princess.

Nathan has finally got his first two choppers coming in. One day there was nothing and the next day they were there. Charlotte's are almost all the way in and we've been brushing them with her practice toothpaste.

Both babies can roll both ways now, back to front and front to back. We were still swaddling them at night, which is not good now that they can roll. Once I finished work for the summer we decided we needed to get them on some better sleep habits. We used a book called the Sleep Easy Solution. I won't bore you with details. You can read it if you want. Anyway, it took about a week to get them both out of the pods and swaddles and into just a plain sleep sack and in their own cribs. No bottles either. That was pretty miraculous. They usually sleep really well now for the first part of the night and don't start waking up until around 3:00. It's a start anyway.

In addition to eating healthier, the wife and I decided to get back to the gym. We had to switch because they one we were at before didn't have anywhere we could put the babies, but the new one has a playroom that takes them as young as 6 weeks. They even get their own gym card. They don't feed or diaper them, they come get you for that or if they cry for more than 15 minutes and there is a 2 hour limit but it works out well. I haven't made it a full hour without having to go get them, but it's a start too. We've seen a trainer and going to a lot of classes. We both want the babies to grow up knowing about and appreciating healthy eating and living.

As the summer winds down we have a couple of trips planned and then it's back to work for both of us in August. Thankfully we have family that will watch the babies as daycare is about $1,000 a month per baby and we simply don't have those kinds of funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment