An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

This is my current most-amusing-thing-in-the-world. If you know the Adele song Set Fire to the Rain, you'll get it. This is pretty much exactly what goes through my mind when I hear it. 
I can't take credit for making this hilarious thing. It's way too creative for me!

I've had this typed for a while, but it's been a busy week. Plus I've been really tired.  Well, here it is now.

IUI Cycle #3 - August/September 2011

After two back-to-back disappointments, we really weren't sure what to do next. We had only paid for 2 cycles and though we weren't ready to give up yet, we were in a financial bind. Fortunately, around this time my mom came into some inheritance money. And she wanted to share it with us! So we scheduled one more cycle with the doctor and crossed our fingers.

I had cysts again, so I had to do the pill to get rid of them and then wait for another period. Since my mom was paying for this cycle, I invited her to my first ultrasound appointment. I thought it might be awkward, but it wasn't bad. So many people had seen my va-jay-jay by this time that I really didn't care. Plus, she enjoyed seeing my ovaries and talking with the doctor so it was all good. We used the same injections as cycle 2, but with a higher dose to ripen the eggs more. They came along OK.

This was toward the end of summer and the beginning of another school year. Teachers usually have to report before the new year for meetings and other stuff. My district has us report the week before and we were afraid that the insemination would be scheduled for one of the mandatory days. At first it was scheduled for the day after I had to report, which would be easier to miss because there would be no meetings, but work time in classrooms instead. But then the doctor called and said that my eggs were riper than they originally thought and they pushed it up a day to the first reporting day.

Well, there was nothing I could do. If the eggs were ready, they were ready. I told my office manager I was having a medical procedure (I hadn't told anyone except my close friends at work what I was doing) and I could bring a note from the doctor, but she didn't press it. I would only miss the morning anyway.

The night before we stayed in another hotel for the night. This one was actually for my birthday, a gift from my girlfriend. The room had an awesome tub and a great view! It was another nice evening, but we had to do the ovulation trigger shot in the room. It was a little funny and we didn't want to leave a used needle there. We didn't have the awesome sharps container that we do now, so I think we just brought it home and disposed of it there.

My girlfriend brought me to the insemination and then to work. Remember how I had to move from the portable to my permanent classroom recently? Well, this was the time I was moving out of the classroom and into the portable. But one of the restrictions after an insemination is no heavy lifting, so she was going to help me move and unpack, but the movers didn't even get to my room until 2 days later. When they did, she practically set up the whole classroom because I was in meetings all that day, pretty much.

So, I started the new year with this hanging over my head again. The anxiety, the wonder, the worry. Then the bloodwork started and the results were the same as cycle 2. I immediately was disappointed. And with good reason, even if it was premature disappointment.

On the day of the final bloodwork my girlfriend and I switched phones for when the doctor called. I can't take calls at work but she was off that day. She talked to the doctor and e-mailed me the information. I checked my e-mail on prep (while the students are at specials like art and music) and though I already knew, I got emotional anyway.

As I was sitting at my desk sobbing, the fucking fire alarm goes off. Even though I didn't have students at the time, I still had to evacuate as well. So I composed myself as best I could, but I know I still looked like shit because people were giving me really funny looks on the field. I just tried to stay out of sight until it was over and I could go back in my room and hide. Looking back, this part was kind of funny though at the time it certainly was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment