An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 1 - February 8

I actually should have gotten my period much sooner. Last Friday was the last day of the birth control and my period should have come sometime over the weekend. But it didn't. My period is never very regular and my cycle length has always been around 30 to 32 days instead of 28. But the doctor was worried because with all of the medication, everything should be pretty well regulated. So they had me come in for bloodwork and an ultrasound to see if there was a problem.

One thing about me, I don't handle stress and anxiety well. It's something I've worked on for years. I've tried medication, I've taken relaxation classes, hypnotherapy. You name it. But nothing has had a real significant impact. So when things don't go the way they're supposed to, I break down. I didn't sleep last night because of the worry. But the cats were good company.

I took the whole day off, even though I probably could have just taken the morning. I was going to take a day off this week anyway, so it just worked out to be today. I have over 120 sick days so I'm not worried about that. My girlfriend doesn't have that luxury and had to work today so I went by myself.

They had me do bloodwork first and I found out that my blog is misnamed! The poster I had been staring at says "wishing for baby" not "hoping for baby". Oh well. At least now they could never sue me for copyright infringement.

Oh hey, speaking of bloodwork...want to see something gross? Here's what my hand looks like every time I get blood drawn. It doesn't hurt as bad as it looks. It's just gross.

Anyway, after that they brought me back for the ultrasound. The doctor popped it in and the craziest thing...she could see movement. We actually saw my period moving and flowing inside. It was just taking it's sweet time, like always. But it was crazy to actually see that. She took a look at the ovaries and there were no cysts, which I was worried about. And there is a good bunch of follicles still on the ovaries so the Lupron is doing it's job of suppressing ovulation.

When the doctor pulled the wand out, she held it up for me to see the blood on the tip so she counted this as day 1 and we're moving forward now. I guess I just needed something to open the floodgates. On Friday we start the Gonal-F injections and the Luveris injections, both of which help ripen the eggs. Then I'll go back next week for more ultrasounds and bloodwork to see how they're developing.  So, more news next week, I suppose.


2 comments:

  1. I really hope you get pregnant asap, because all these needles are making me cringe for you ><!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol and tonight we go up to 3 shots per night! My poor stomach :(

    ReplyDelete