An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Day 10 - February 17

Today we bagged up all the pens we had with a little bit of medication in them and packed them in an ice pack. We brought them to the doctor so they could condense them into this:
They do this by taking a disposable needle and injecting it into each pen and drawing up the rest of the medication. The catch is that this dulls the needle and there is no way to switch the needles on these syringes. So we had to do the injection with a dull needle. But it's three full doses. It's about 900 units, which is the same as one of the new pens we had for this cycle. So by saving the extras from before we saved ourselves over $700 because we would have had to buy a new pen. And we still have a little left!

The eggs are much bigger today. Some of them are about 10 mm (or 1 cm for those of you clever with metric conversions) or more and my estriadol and progesterone levels are going up. It looks like they're going to have us trigger ovulation Monday night and retrieve the eggs Wednesday morning. And they also have a tentative transfer date of next Monday the 27th, but that really depends on how they develop. We're a little disappointed because my girlfriend works Monday and Wednesday and there are no subs for universities. So it looks like my mom will be taking me to the next couple of appointments. We'll know the dates for sure when we go back this upcoming Monday.

We switched from the stomach to the leg for injections tonight. My stomach is a bruised mess. I couldn't get a good picture that didn't accentuate my fat roll, but I feel like a pincushion. Trust me. The doctor suggested that I might get better absorption in the leg and it wouldn't hurt as much. Plus my girlfriend is getting squeamish injecting into old bruises. For the first two shots I stood with my leg raised, but I have a terrible sense of balance so for the third one I sat on the counter (on a towel), which was better. Never a dull moment here, just dull needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment