An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 3 - February 10

More bloodwork today. Now my hands are bruise twins.

It's been a rough couple of days. I've felt really crappy and it could be a combination of my period and finally feeling the mood swings of the Lupron. It's not even an easy feeling to describe. I'm tired, cranky and my head hurts just a little all the time. Today as I was driving home, I saw some girls walking and I just wanted to lean on the horn and flip them the finger. Absolutely no reason why. I didn't, but even after I had passed them, I kept thinking about it. It's strange, that's for sure.

Tonight we started the new medications Luveris and Gonal. These medications help to stimulate the ovaries to produce more follicles as well as to ripen the eggs faster. We used the Gonal before in the IUI cycles, but they have me on a much higher dose. Actually, as a result of the bloodwork today they had me start on an even higher dose than they originally planned. Tonight the Lupron dosage goes way down too. I assume since they're going to want me to ovulate in a couple of weeks, it's time to back off of the ovulation suppressant.

Here's what our medication setup looks like now.

The Luveris comes as a powder and has to be mixed. The Gonal has to be dialed to the dosage and then the needle attached. It took about 20 minutes just to get everything ready. We decided to have me lie down for this. For some reason, the damn Lupron hurts like a bitch for the entire injection. I thought I would have a tolerance for it by now, but no. The Gonal hurts going in, but not during and it's a fast injection. The Luveris wasn't as bad as I thought it would be considering a lot of fluid was being injected.

We decided I should use 3 of the same series band-aids instead of 3 randoms. These were from the Target kid's band-aid series.

Our next appointment is Tuesday. Not exactly how most couples spend Valentine's day, but it gave me a reason to take the day off from work again. Otherwise we wouldn't have had any time together on Valentine's day because she has class at night and we don't see each other until late in the the evenings on Tuesdays. Now, after the appointment, we're going to have a nice day together. Not quite sure what we're going to do because it's going to depend on the weather but whatever we end up doing, it'll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment