An unconventional journey through assisted reproductive technology (and hopefully pregnancy and parenthood.)

About Me

My photo
They say 30's are the new 20's. My wife and I have been together for over a decade now. We both work in the fast paced world of academia. Our state (and recently all others across the country) have finally allowed all marriage so we made that happen October 2014.

I'm a pretty big nerd, I'll be the first to admit. I love video games (yes, as a girl and yes, at my age). I have lots of other nerd hobbies and since I was unceremoniously banned from RuneScape, I've been playing Civilization and Skyrim. My real first nerd love is Magic the Gathering. 10,000 cards and growing, but that's an expensive hobby when you have two babies.

I have other grown-up interests too, especially reading. I like reading so much I have 3 Kindles and I also used to be a martial artist (one belt away from black belt. I'll finish someday.)

But now I've got twins and I have a feeling a lot of those hobbies are going to change.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Week 1 of Lupron

Since I've never gone through menopause, I can't really say if the side effects really mimic menopause or not. I don't think I've had any mood swings. At least nobody has told me that I'm acting differently. I'm usually cold (temperature, that is) all the time so maybe that is balancing any hot flashes I might be having. Although the A/C in my classroom is not working and in the afternoon it never gets below 80 degrees so my whole afternoon is a hot flash anyway. I have noticed a very decreased "desire", which is very significant for me. I think I'd rather have the hot flashes.

The Lupron injections made me bruise up after the first shot. We switch sides each night so we're not sticking a needle into a fresh bruise. I made a valuable discovery this week. If I shave my hairy stomach, it doesn't hurt to take the band-aid off. I wish I knew that a year ago.

Friday was the last day of birth control so I should expect that hefty period any day now. Then we go in for an ultrasound and start the injections to plump the eggs up and another injection that I forgot what it does. I think it prevents ovulation, but I thought that was what the Lupron was for. Oh well, I'll ask the doctor again next week.  Anyway, that'll be 3 shots a night. Yikes.

Today we ran some errands in the morning and we ended at Barnes and Noble. We're both avid readers and we like to browse books...which we then go home and download to our Kindles. At B&N they sell Moleskine journals and I think they are so cool so I always check them out. They had a new display of different journals and one was a baby journal so I had to pick it up.

I probably wouldn't be very good at scrapbooking a fancy baby book, but I love to write so this will be perfect, I think. It covers from pregnancy to 2 years. I'm excited to write in it, but I think it would be bad luck to start before I'm actually pregnant, so I'll just be content with admiring the pages for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment